I just wanted to share this great watermelon and arugula salad with you guys. It's a great alternative to serving it the traditional way as a dessert fruit!
Quick Nutritional Facts:
- Low calorie and completely edible fruit: 92% of it is water and low in cholesterol, total fat and saturated fats. Perfect hydrator for those hot summer days. 1 diced cup barely has 40 calories! Can eat rinds, seeds and all!
- Great Heart Health: Studies show that eating watermelon can increase important amino acids such as arginine (for healthy hearts and arteries!). It actually increases citrulline, which synthesizes arginine.
- -Quick Fact: Arginine is sometimes used as an alternative treatment for erectile dysfunction because it is an immediate precursor to nitric oxide, which dilates blood vessels. (hmmm lol).
- Powerful Punch of Antioxidants:
- Packed with lycopenes: a carotenoid with antioxidant properties, thereby helps to stop cells from making singlet oxygen, culprit for skin aging.
- -Studied for links with anti-cancer properties with notable links for prostate, lung and stomach cancer.
- Filled with Vitamin C, great antioxidant that lessens oxidative stress and also helps make collagen and neurotransmitters.
Helps with prostate cancer and erectile dysfunction?? This seems like a win-win recipe for the guys. lol
Make those men full and healthy by serving this for a side dish on Father's Day! =P
Satiates: 4 (light lunch sized meals)
- Watermelon (cubed)- 1/4 of whole
- Baby arugula- 3-4 cups
- Red Onion (paper thin sliced rings)- 1/2
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- about 2-3 tablespoons
- Toasted Pine nuts (approx. 40 kernels)- Handful
- Lime juice- 1/2 Lime
- Salt and Pepper
*Most recipes have this with feta cheese but I really enjoy the lightness of just the watermelon and arugula. But you can add if you want to =).
- Mix lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, pinches of salt and pepper together and set aside.
- Quick blanche thin onion rings in a small skillet with the bottom rimmed with water until opaque. (half cooked half uncooked) Gets rid of some of the strong onion taste and that undesireable onion breath.
- In salad bowl, make a bed with most of the arugula on the bottom of the bowl.
- Place diced watermelon over arugula bed and sprinkle arugula sprigs on top; Sprinkle the onions next then the pine nuts.
- Drizzle with the lime juice and oil mix.
For better results place saran wrap over the top of the salad bowl and refridgerate the watermelon salad for approximately 30 minutes. This will allow the sweet watermelon juice to settle out and make a great taste as "light dressing".
Divide and enjoy this refreshing delight!
Calories breakdown (per serving):
Watermelon: 46 calories/1 cup diced. + Argula: 2 calories/ .5 cups. + Pine nuts: 10 calories/ 10 kernels + Olive Oil: 62 calories/ .5 tablespoons = 120 calories!
*these are rough estimates with nutritiondata.com. I tried to be as true as possible, although lime was left out because it only has 6 calories for half a lime.
Hope you enjoy! =)